Strategic Planning is designed to identify our district's mission and beliefs with employee and community input, and then to develop plans to work cooperatively through a focus planning process.
The strategic planning process began with a three-day session on August 9 -11, 2000 for the planning team, 25 people with diverse perspectives regarding public education in the Benicia schools: school personnel, business leaders, community members, parents and students.
During September - June 50 additional people were involved with another important component of the strategic planning process: Action Teams. Action Teams will developed action plans in areas identified by the initial Planning Team.
- We will implement an integrated approach to learning by aligning curriculum, instruction, materials and assessment.
- Develop a coordinated plan for the articulation and integration of a standards-based curriculum at all grade levels.
- Implement a comprehensive professional development program for administrators, teachers and staff which integrates standards, curriculum, benchmarks, "best practices" in instructional and leadership strategies, and assessment.
- Review, augment and implement a comprehensive system of assessment.
- Create opportunities to collaborate district wide across subject areas and grade levels.
- We will utilize comprehensive technology that supports student learning, classroom instruction, district operations and communications.
- Increase student competency in technology.
- Increase student access to technology.
- Increase staff competency in technology.
- Provide prompt and effective technology support and maintenance.
- Utilize existing technological resources to optimize site and district operations.
- We will implement an evaluation system of new and existing programs for effectiveness.
- Design a system for program evaluation to determine success and cost effectiveness.
- Implement a system for program evaluation to determine success and cost effectiveness.
- Evaluate programs by determining the degree to which they meet district standards and expectations and site needs.
- Using evaluation data, the district will implement a staff development program for teachers, administrators and paraprofessionals.
- Provide students at all sites with equal access to support services and intervention programs.
- Revise district budget process to incorporate a procedure to utilize program evaluation data.
- Site Councils, parents and community members will participate in the evaluation process.
- We will instill a pride of ownership in the school community and provide the facilities needed for the enriched curriculum and a variety ofJuly 21, 2006e, consistently cleaned, well maintained and secure.
- Make all BUSD facilities environmentally safe.
- Protect and maintain our capital investments.
- Design a use of facility program that ensures fairness to users and is cost neutral to BUSD.
- Balance energy use with school operations.
- We will establish a network that provides immediate and long-range support for all students of concern.
- Establish a collaborative multidisciplinary team (e.g., school/city, county, state and federal agencies).
- Establish network of school and community resources.
- Train staff, parents, community members, and others interested on how to make referrals and use resources.
- We will seek additional resources and expand the diversity of opportunities.
- Develop a community partnership.
- Actively seek state and local funding to ensure that district facilities and infrastructure keep pace with student population growth and curriculum changes.
- Seek additional resources through grant writing.
- Utilize a parcel assessment and/or maintenance district to create funds for program enhancements.
- Solicit monetary/material support from local business, non-local business and local individuals.
- We will provide students opportunities to explore and prepare for career paths.
- Increase staff and administration participation in career education.
- Provide all students with a wide spectrum of career choices.
- Increase students' basic employability skills including interpersonal and job readiness techniques.
- Provide students with a wide-range of career classes.
- We will create a district wide community of learners that will enhance our schools.
- Develop learning opportunities for our staff that allow for reflection, application, implementation and evaluation
- Actively engage the community in providing learning opportunities for our students both in and out of the classroom.
- Devise methods of support that address shared goals and concerns.